16 January 2011

I wrote this Monday the 10th...


I spent the entirety of this Monday either jarring fermented food or preparing more food to be fermented.  All morning I put sauerkraut, and later Jeff’s version of Kim Chee into various jars either to distribute or save for family use. 
The sauerkraut is good; the Kim Chee is great.  It is not as spicy as traditional Kim Chee but has a nice kick.  What I like about it is that it doesn’t have just cabbage and garlic.  It also contains daikon radish, mustard greens, and carrots making it colorful, tasty, and sweet all at once.  I couldn’t help but munch along as I was jarring and jarring…..and jarring in the basement/garage. 
In the afternoon I put away salted lambskins so that they can be sent to a tannery at a later date.  The smell of lamb flesh in an attic is distinct but not so unpleasant.  Maybe I’m just weird.  It also doesn’t help that I’ve been utterly congested all week to the point I can’t really taste my food.  One of the results is that Sunday night I made a huge pot of lentil soup wayyy too salty; adding more water helped.  This will be my lunch for many days into this week.
Rest of the afternoon = brushing turnips and carrots til my face turns blue, then shredding them with a mandolin (mandolining?) until my face turns purple and my forearms burn.  I was glad to do animal chores and unload the pickup when given the chance.  If you were curious as to how sauerkraut is made by the way, it’s just shredded veggies that are salted and then sit in a cold area in a clay pot for at least a few weeks.  The anaerobic bacteria take care of the rest.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will be going to a MOFGA  (Maine Organic Farming and Gardening Association) conference.  I will learn and get to meet some other farmers…sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment